Monday 7 May 2012

Taylor Wessing National Portrait Prize








Last year I photographed a man called Kevin, local to the area in which I live.
He's known to most around as 'The owl man' fro the way that he's a keeper of quite a few owls and from how he walks around the local town on a daily basis with around three owls on his shoulders.
He's been doing this for most of his life and I thought that this would be a fantastic thing to look into documenting/portraying for The National Portrait Prize.
The Taylor Wessing National Portrait Prize is a competition for photographers to enter, under the concept of producing a portrait depicting ones' identity to it's fullest.
It's all about portraying a person with emphasis on their identity.

I took these around May time last year and hoped to enter.
I had sorted the rough £70.00 needed to enter three portraits, only to find out at the time of entry that I was not old enough. Not too young at the time of entry, but the rules stated that I had to have been eighteen years of age the previous January and I wasn't going to be eighteen until the May. Very strange, but four months too young in hind sight.
I'm very keen on this competition, not just for the cash prize, but in fact mainly for the title of being able to say you've won such a prestigious competition and also the fact that the winner get's their portrait in the National Portrait Gallery and gets offered a large commission like that of the Elle commission given to last year's winner.
I will be entering some of the above three and look to be photographing some more this year to possible enter the limit of six photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment