Monday 7 May 2012

Skin Deep Hair Collection


So this commission is actually from about a year ago where I worked with a hair salon called Skin Deep for a paid commission in which the project was to photograph a range of models and hair styles for their own 'style look book'.
I worked with 15 different models and several different stylists / make-up artists.
The shoot had to be done to a time scale of just one day - meaning I didn't have any room for mistake or any time for re-shooting, which also meant that I had to have certain aspects of the shoot, such as my lighting technique, down to a very comfortable standard before commencing. Somewhat nerve-racking.
I set for the day with a nine hour slot in the small studio, therefore enabling me to be able to switch from a white backdrop, to that of the grey/black.
I used Adobe Lightroom for the editing process, due to it's very time effective system and it's lack of complexity.
I spent a good hour setting up and setting down, endured an average of about an eight hour shooting time, however the longest part of the project was that of the editing process; I'm not afraid to say that editing and/or Photoshop CS skills have never been my strong point, but one thing's for certain, I got a lot stronger in these areas given the time spent having to switch between Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom.
Given that I had to work with so many sitters for this stylist book, I recall taking around a thousand photographs for the day. I went through an execution process of displaying the work in contact form, thus firstly eliminating the weaker of the lot (which took quite some time and effort because of the way that I was not only a fan of the majority of them, but I had to make these decisions for other people) - of course I first gave a disk of them all to my commissioner, Nicola, so she could make sure I kept ones she personally thought had strength.
Whilst waiting for Nicola to get back to me with her personal preferences, I actually took it upon myself to just start with editing all of them. Of course this was going to be a lengthy process but I felt like being productive. Another good point for doing this would be for the way that after spending enough time editing similarly lit subjects, I start to get a real good idea for how I want the consistency of the visual aesthetic to look throughout. Thus keeping the whole set very much consistent and uniformed in terms of tones and composition. - Meaning that no two photographs will be too different.
From upload to final/finished edit and export; Approx/average 8 hours.
There were model release forms used, however I can no longer locate them. I am sure that they’re in storage from the amount of time I have moved house.





No comments:

Post a Comment