Sunday 13 May 2012

Future commissioned work


I’ve done three weddings so far and have one at the end of this month (June). I have been paid for them all.
They all follow a somewhat consistent process. I start the day with photographing either the bride or groom or both, as they’re getting ready in the morning.
I am at the location (be it the church or registry office) for when the bride turns up, so I am able to photograph her getting out of the transport and walking down the isle.
After the vows are said and done, I photograph the kiss and the signing, then it’s off outside and/or to another location and/or to where the celebratory ceremony/reception is held. In the above locations, I will be doing all of the group shots, bride/groom photographs in a free order, but covering the necessary arrangements of guests. I will stay for a short while at the reception before making my way off home to edit.
I have, so far, offered a package of having me for the above listed day/routine with a cd of low-resolution images, a full set of 6x4” prints and a selection of eight 10x8” enlargements. Starting off, I was doing this for very cheap; I started at £200.00, then my second was £250.00 as it was for the family of a friend, leading onto my last wedding which I charged £600.00.   All clients have been very happy, as have I with the way that I’ve learnt a lot during and before the day. I’ve had to look into the routine in which all the guest and family shots are to be taken, and how they actually differ from church to registry office weddings. I’ve learnt how to work well under pressure, how to feel more confident and take control (which is very important in working with people and/or photographing a wedding).
With the wedding 30th of June, my old college friend sealed the deal with this one.
He asked me to work together with him on weddings as it would make him feel a lot more comfortable, so he’s been finding extra ones for me to work with him on. The way this will work will be by splitting the £550.00 down the middle, both photographing all of the usual shots that are needed at a wedding, then going off and getting amongst the rest separately, hopefully making for a larger coverage and documentation of the event.

The weddings that I have had in the past;
The first one was a friend’s sister, the second was a friend’s mother and the third was through receiving a college email where somebody had mailed the college requiring a wedding photographer.

I keep in contact with an old college friend, Benjamin Lawley, who I endured the National Diploma course with. He now focuses on doing nothing but wedding work and commissioned work, rather than personal projects.  He's asked me to work with him this year on being second photographer so to speak on his jobs. He feels more comfortable with having me there, so of course I approved of the idea.
We've got two next month (June) and one in July so far.

Information and name, etc, mentioned on his site;
http://benlawleyphotography.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment