Sunday 13 May 2012

30 years, 30 voices

College mate Jay Bing and I worked on a project with The Barbican Theatre.


There were many fantastic elements to working on the ‘30 years, 30 voices’ projects with Jay Bing.  I, again, got to spend time on curating an exhibition, however this time felt I more perfected it than that of the exhibition I put together with my fellow students for the National Diploma Summer Show two years ago. With this exhibition, what was important was that it was just Jay and myself with no supervision or help from the outside. We had to learn from and get past any/all mistakes/barriers during the course of the curation and planning, to the set up and set down. From little factors like making sure the boards were touched up; we didn’t think about this prior to the collection of the boards, so when it came to putting them up, I had to go off and buy paint to touch the boards up with. To that of larger barriers; transportation of the boards, to and from. I had to arrange one different person with a van for each way we took the boards. It teaches one that time management is not only the key, but also the better you manage the time you have, the smoother absolutely everything will go. I also learnt that it pays to know a range of people; people I didn’t think would come in handy in such a situation turned out to be of use, which then paid for themselves for being of use.
After the successful launch night and now that the books are for sale on Amazon.co.uk as well as in Waterstones book shop, I’d say that the biggest benefit for this is that our photographs and names get seen by a lot more people, and by quite the range of audience too. Not only that, but we’ve got a book as a physical copy, as proof of hard work over a project we spent months planning, making and executing. This will be of major use when it comes to interviews or examples of successful projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment